Two things that bring me joy... reflecting on a full day in London

Theatre Arts on London’s Stage

Robin Hamilton

“Two things that bring me joy: Shakespeare and Bubbles! 

Narrative courtesy of participant, Ava

Today on our trip to Southbank, we fulfilled an agenda of the Globe Theater, Tate Modern, and everything Southbank has to offer. While also attending our second class of the course and going on an exciting excursion to the Southbank side of the River Thames.

Photo for blog post Two things that bring me joy... reflecting on a full day in London

Starting our morning bright and early, our entire program headed down to the tube station to head to Southbank. While we may have missed a turn or two, we successfully arrived in Southbank safe and sound. Although this was the first time for many– or even the first time for everyone in such a large group– we all certainly seemed like seasoned travelers. Straight after arriving, we headed for the Globe Theater. After splitting into two groups, we started to explore the Globe while learning about its rich history. From learning about the rebuilding process for the third time, Elizabethan tendencies, and even watching a bit of a rehearsal for the upcoming show at the Globe, The Tempest, we then set off to have lunch and start to explore Southbank.

After lunch with friends, we met at the Globe and traveled to Tate Modern just down the road. There, our groups split and the first group attended our second class of the course on the front lawn. One of our teachers, Abraham, led us through some fun exercises relating to our class the day before. Then, we started to discuss the man of the hour– William Shakespeare. After discussing some of our favorite plays, we learned about Julius Caesar. When we finished with our discussion, we were given a challenge. Being assigned small groups, our job was to use improvisation and retell Julius Caesar in a certain theme. We laughed and improvised while we reenacted the play in British accents, living in a western film, becoming the head of a mafia family, and exploring the sea. This class prepared us for what was to come as tonight we saw our first performance of the program, which is, you guessed it, Julius Caesar.

Photo courtesy of PL, Ning

When class finished, we were released to explore the Southbank area with our friends and take in the sights. My friends and I headed into the main entrance for Tate Modern immediately starting to immerse ourselves in the magnificent artwork that made up Tate Modern. After a visit to the gift shop, and a stroll around the green areas later, we saw… bubbles. Soon discovering a local performer creating big bubbles near the river. Fascinated by this, my friends and I headed over and began popping bubbles and laughing constantly.

Photo courtesy of participant, Ava

The rest of our time consisted of exploring the streets, green areas, and the riverside. After meeting up with the group we headed to a local restaurant, Wagamama. There we tried noodles, curry, and some other dinner options. Once dinner ended we walked around Southbank reflecting on our day so far. After heading back to the Globe the main event started.

Photo courtesy of PL, Ning

After arriving and entering the Globe, CIEE students made their way to the yard; the floor of the Globe Theater. Once the show started, the actors captured our attention and put on a beautiful show. Julius Caesar is an entertaining and fun retelling of the classic Shakespearean play. When finished at the theater, we headed back on the tube to return to our hotel and get a good night's rest. 

Photo courtesy of participant, Matthew

Our day was full of fun, history, and memories"