Tourism: Beach Front Versus Beach View

Climate Change Mitigation

Roseangela Hartford

Is there enough water to go around? Do tourists impact community building efforts? How can we become ethical and sustainable consumers when traveling?

Photo for blog post Tourism: Beach Front Versus Beach View

During our time in Playas del Coco, we examined the particular circumstances the beach community faces given the spike in tourism and shifting consumer preferences. When thinking about resources that the beach front community used, students dove headfirst to ask questions relating to water disputes that are quite common in the area. Specifically, we learned about the implications for the community of Sardinal located approximately 6 miles outside of the Playas del Coco tourism strip. With competing interests and a need to supply water 24/7 for tourists, students were given the opportunity to dig deeper in areas of salination, aqueduct and well construction, and the social consequences for communities on the outskirts of major tourist hubs.

FUN FACT: Tourist preferences to have beach front stays have shifted towards panoramic views in the mountains looking down on the beach. It seems sitting poolside with a view is the new craze!

We continued this line of questioning as we visited Playa Panama. Several students brought up the clear differences in the tourist population size and commercialization that differed between Playas del Coco (booming with shops and restaurants) in comparison to Playa Panama.

While visiting Playa Panama, we were overwhelmed with a craving for shaved ice topped with condensed milk. This was a "bittersweet" treat especially while listening to our local guide describe the major landscape and social changes over the past three decades.

Although we had days filled with difficult conversations regarding environmental injustice and potential risks associated with rising tourism, we took some time to really savor our treats and of course, the beach!

The views and community narratives will stay close to our hearts as we take on our next stop to further examine energy sources in Guayabo!