Teufelsberg

German Language & Culture

Erin Munsie

An absolute favorite exhibit, we had the opportunity to go visit Teufelsberg. Teufelsberg (devil’s mountain) has layers of history, connecting both the historical and the modern. This is a man made hill on the outskirts of Berlin, consisting of rubble from the bombing of Berlin in World War II. It is the highest point in Berlin, offering beautiful views of the city. 

During the Cold War, this location served as a listening station operated by the United States military. We were lucky enough to receive tour from a wonderful man who served here in the 1970s at Teufelsberg. We were able to learn directly from someone who had been a part of history about what life was like during the Cold War and the purpose of Teufelsberg. 

Teufelsberg currently serves not only as a reminder of the past, but has become the largest collection of street art in Europe. Teufelsberg offers a dream for artists - a large space to create and showcase their art. Filled with messages of hope, political statements and works of true beauty, Teufelsberg offered something for everyone.