Swimming in a cenote...wait, was that lightning?

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Angel Fross

My first draft got deleted so here's take two (read as: please stick around and read this so it's worth it).

I am in Mérida, Yucatán with several other educators to do a site visit of the Language and Culture summer session #2. Today was our first full day, and BOY was it full. I'm currently typing this at almost midnight and I'm still thinking of everything we did.

After breakfast at the hotel, we walked to the study center and got to observe classes. I saw both Level 1 and Level 3 and they were awesome. I love how they were so motivated to learn more Spanish and they communicated in Spanish, too! Even with each other. I wish more of my own students were like that!

After observing classes, we got lunch, and then ran back to the study center (bus snacks in hand) to head to the cenote. The one we visited was called Yokdzonot Cenote. Did you know Yokdzonot is the Mayan word for cenote?! You learn something new everyday.

The ride there was a little over an hour and a half. When we were approaching our destination, the rain started pouring. "Okay, no big deal, we're getting in the water anyway!"

And then there was lightning.

Once we got to the cenote, I thought we might not even get in. But eventually the rain calmed down and the thunderstorms were far (enough) away, so we got in. The water was perfect after such blazing hot days! The students were having such a blast with one another, which was amazing to see because they didn't know each other three weeks ago. We had to pull them from the water once we had to go. It's really amazing to see young people fully immersed in the language and culture. I can't wait for the rest of the week!