Students Reflect on Most Memorable Moments (So Far!)

Jennifer Rives

It’s been 3 days since we arrived in Beijing. From the moment we stepped off the plane, we have constantly been on the move. Eating Lanzhou pulled noodles and shopping for supplies on day one, orientation and The Summer Palace (颐和园) on day two, and a Beijing subway exploration and trip to Wangfujing shopping center on day three have been just some of the activities that students have engaged in. In addition to walking all over the city, students have been studying survival Chinese every day and learning how to participate in Chinese culture through cultural activities and debriefing sessions.

With all of these opportunities for personal development and learning happening one after the next, what highlights have stuck out to students over the past three days? Here’s what some of the participants on our trip had to say!

“I really liked navigating the Beijing subway today. I already had a lot of experience riding the subways back home in D.C., but it was cool to see the differences between subways in Beijing and subways in America. They’re so different, especially the time in between trains (they come by so much faster here), the advertisements you see, the security at the entrance of the subway, plus they’re so much cleaner inside than subways in America!” – Aaron

“Food, food, food (食物, 食物, 食物)! All the food has been so delicious!” – Roberto

“The fried rice in China is soooo much better than fried rice in America. Like, it’s crazy. I just love eating it when I come to China!” – Sean

“My favorite part so far is unlocking different aspects of Chinese culture through learning their language.” – Lucas

“So far, my favorite part has been talking to my counselors and program leaders about the things that I have noticed in China and the things that they have noticed throughout their experiences here and how that plays into the things that I am interested in, the things I am seeing day-to-day, and the things I’m learning. I just feel like I’m learning lots with every single conversation I have, which is really cool.” – Cory

As a Program Leader, my favorite part of the past three days has been watching everyone learn about themselves and Chinese culture. I know that it can be hard to get adjusted to life in a new place – especially after a 16-hour plane ride – but everyone has been adaptable, eager to learn, and open to new experiences. With such positive attitudes, I know the students on our program will have a lot to take away from this experience. I am so excited to continue watching them learn and grow!