A students perspective: Seeing the beauty of Senegal

Harriet Browne

After 5 days in Dakar, Senegal, I have come to learn that the phrase “change is good” is completely true. In these past few days, I have been met with new people, new places, and new ideas that have caused me to change the way I think about the world around me. Today was no different in that aspect. Today, day 5, our program took a trip to the Museum of Black Civilizations in downtown Dakar. Visiting this museum was a chance to truly understand the lives and the culture of the people who shaped Senegal into the country it is today; beautiful and strong. It was really interesting to learn about the lives of powerful African people who took a stand for the well-being of the Senegalese people, things you don’t learn about back home in the States. I found today that it’s really important to learn about the past of African cultures from their own viewpoints, not the viewpoints of the American textbooks we learn from, as you get a much more beautiful and realistic picture of their livelihood than the one painted by the West. You really do just learn so much more about the culture and strength of the African people when you take the time to listen to their own stories and experiences. Today was also a chance for me to look into a rumor that I have since confirmed as true: African food really is the best food on Earth. I have learned that, here, food is not just a heavenly, perfectly spiced substance designed to fill your stomach, but something that really does bring people together. Meals in Senegal have become my favorite way to bond with my friends and mentors, as eating is an occasion to just sit and converse with those around you, something I see as really beautiful. I continue to be really excited to wake up in Senegal and learn something new or change a mindset that I hold, and in all honesty, I don’t think I ever want to leave. Sorry Mom!

-Mellissa