Student Takeover: Mackenzie

Aquatic Ecosystems & Sustainability

Adele Colwell

Today we started our morning with a class on river ecosystems and the mountains in Portugal. We learned about the difference between ecosystem services and functions and watched a documentary on animals in the mountains of Portugal!

Testing
Learning about ecosystem services in class 

We followed our class with a stipend for lunch. We headed out to Setúbal to find something good to eat and split up into groups to find food. My group tried Portuguese McDonald’s!

After lunch, we had a functional Portuguese lesson. Our instructor, Rodrigo, is one of our favorite people. We learned colors, numbers, food vocabulary, how to order, and more!

Photo for blog post Student Takeover: Mackenzie
Learning about Portuguese numbers in our class with Rodrigo 

Afterward, it started raining, we headed back to the hotel to have our traditional Portuguese dance lesson. We learned three dances. These dances are still practiced during holidays and special events in Portugal. They were very difficult but really fun! Most of the dances were partner dances with Portuguese music, everyone loved it! Overall, we had a great day. We are hoping to show off our Portuguese dance skills when we get home.

Learning traditional Portuguese dances in class 

Putting our dance classes to use in Setúbal!