Student Takeover: Kimchi, Yonsei University & a Moonlight Tour of Deoksugung Palace

K-Pop Immersion

Nikia Brown

We walked about 15 minutes to get to the Kimchi Museum and then we were taught how to make Kimchi. We learned that the normal process usually takes a full day, but they prepared ingredients for us in advance. We then walked to a senior center to give the Kimchi to the elders living there. We took photos of us holding the Kimchi and then parted ways with it.

Jars of Kimchi sitting on a table

Students and program leaders holding containers of Kimchi inside a senior center.

We then went to Yonsei University to tour the campus and were all surprised with ice cream! It was about a ten-minute bus ride from the senior center. It was quite a full ride since there were tons of students.

Students posing in front of Yonsei University's campus by the university sign

Late that night we took the subway to Deoksugung Palace and got to go on a moonlight tour around the palace. We learned about when it was used and all the history. Some students got to even reenact some events from the past. 

Students and leaders standing in front of Deoksugung Palace

Palace throne room

A well outside of Deoksugung Palace

At the end of the night, we got a Korean shaved ice dessert called "Seolbingsu." We sat and talked about what we learned along with highlights of the trip while trying new flavors of shaved ice.

Mango, apple and cheese shaved iced Korean dessert

Authored by: Sara Larkin, Session 1 K-Pop Immersion: Global Discovery