Student Takeover - A day with Med Gardens by Ella Ridgeway

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Dayana Gomez

This blog was written by, session two student, Ella Ridgeway. She writes about her experience with Med Gardens, a non-profit organization that works hard regenerating poseidonia in Mallorca amongst other activisms.

Hola, Buenos Dias!

Photo for blog post Student Takeover - A day with Med Gardens by Ella Ridgeway

Today was a jam packed day filled with various exciting adventures and new experiences! We started off the day bright and early at the meeting point in Plaza de Espana, where we met with our program leaders and patiently awaited our private bus to arrive and take us to a beach on the other side of the island. A few friends and I decided to indulge in delicious pastries from a local bakery nearby while we waited for the rest of the group to arrive. The bus ride to the beach was a longer trip, traveling on narrow roads and tight turns, which at some points was terrifying to experience, but the cute goats we spotted along the mountain side made the experience all worth it.

Once we arrived, we began our day of learning all about marine life and conservation, while also simultaneously appreciating the beautiful beach & ocean with lots of sun tanning and snorkeling. By the end of the day, we all learned so much about ways we can help prevent harming marine life through being more conscious of organisms' habitats in the ocean, and becoming more aware and understanding of the laws protecting the beaches of Mallorca. I have already learned so much from just two weeks of living in Palma, and I can’t wait to continue to see and learn new things about marine life and experiencing more of the Spanish culture!

Gracias y Adios!

-Ella