Student takeover: A day in the life of a CIEE student

Kaitlyn Shepard

“A typical day in Tanzania is jam packed with exciting activities all throughout the day. Normally, the car picks all of the students up between 8 and 8:30 am. We then head to a school, which is usually about 40 minutes to an hour away (a perfect time for a nap!). After arriving at the school and meeting the teachers and students involved in our program, we play soccer with the girls for about 2 hours. Following soccer, we have lunch with the girls and some of the teachers, which gives us an opportunity to talk to the girls and teachers and learn more about their culture. We then leave the school and head back to the university where we study Swahili and do planned activities and journals with our group leader (Kaitlyn). After these activities, our afternoon is filled with a cultural activity to end the day, which is different each day. Some examples of these activities are hikes to different historical places, making jewelry with the locals and a cooking class. When finished with our afternoon activities, we all get dropped off at our host families, where we eat dinner and relax until bed. These fully planned days make all of the students very tired by the end of the day, which makes for a great night sleep!“ 

-Maeve 

Watch Maeve’s video below of our most recent hike on our way to Igeleke Rock Paintings: