STUDENT BLOG TAKEOVER: "Captivated in the Streets of Mallorca"

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Alexa Stickel

by Forest Burleson

On our first real day in Mallorca, everyone participated in a Scavenger Hunt! The whole group was very excited to finally be exploring the city and quickly rushed off to begin the hunt. However, our group had a different take on the activity. We decided to take our time and not rush to finish. We were so happy to finally be out exploring the city we did not want to miss out on the experience.

Photo for blog post STUDENT BLOG TAKEOVER: "Captivated in the Streets of Mallorca"
Palma de Mallorca

We started out slow by grabbing some delicious gelato and leisurely wandering down the crowded streets, rich with a mix of locals and tourists from all over the world. We made our way past shops and beautiful buildings until we arrived at our first location for the hunt. After receiving our second clue, we began to walk towards the next location but (as we are easily distracted) got diverted by some interesting street shops. We looked around for a while through some of the clothing and then decided to move on.

Exploring the streets of Palma

Along the way to the second stop, we took pictures and photos of the buildings and plazas. The program leader was already heading to the ending location by the time we got there. Apparently, he had been told we were lost or slow, and we all thought this was hilarious. We were given our third clue and caught a carriage ride in hopes of being taken straight there. Unfortunately, our idea did not work out as planned due to the language barrier between us and our carriage driver. We did, however, get a wonderful tour through some back streets and old palaces! He dropped us off at the same place we started, but it was definitely worth the set back. We began to head back after receiving a text to come back because we were too slow. One the way back, we made one last stop to watch a puppet show.

Our ride on a horse-drawn carriage

When we finally returned to the group leaders we had a good laugh about our slow, distracted hunt. Even though we didn’t complete the scavenger hunt activity, we had a great time and felt that we got the most out of it! It was an awesome way to start the trip; everyone had a great time, making awesome memories. We can’t wait for everything else that is to come!

Palma de Mallorca