Street Photography in Bergmannkiez

German Language & Culture

Julianne O'Connell

Hallo, liebe Leute!

Week 2 is well underway with our students feeling more confident and comfortable with each passing day. Thanks to the nature of the HSSA Program (High School Summer Abroad) there are so many seminars and excursions planned for our students in and out of the classroom. I am continuously impressed with the intentionality of the programming as it relates to practicing the language and experiencing the culture and I know the students are really enjoying the diverse array of activities they get to partake in.

Am Montag (on Monday), the students participated in a photography workshop where we were visited by Berlin street photographer and documentarian, Hendrik Lietmann. We had an hour of theory with him where we learned about focal point, lines, the Golden Ratio and the current state of German law as it relates to street photography before we headed out into the streets to try it out on our own. It was wonderful to watch the students go off in groups to practice what they had learned and it was even more wonderful when they came back with some truly wonderful photos! You can scroll through the gallery above to see some of the students' photos.

And if you want to talk with some of our students about what they learned, here is a handy guide to some of the photography-related vocabulary.

Street Photography Lexicon

street photography die Straßenfotografie
photographer der Fotograf / die Fotografin
photo das Foto
focal point der Brennpunkt
Golden Ratio der Goldener Schnitt

I hope our students continue to experiment with what they learned so that I might include more of their photos on the blog at a later date. Until then, enjoy the wonderful photos!

Danke und bis bald!

Julianne