Soaring To New Heights While Walking The Line

Climate Change Mitigation

Chris Jeney

Riding the Ziplines

After trekking down into the valley the day before, Sunday brought the new experience of soaring above the canopy on zip-lines at Selvatura Park! Having done this before I knew the drill and what to expect. But naturally there were still some that had a fear of heights or were doing this for the first time. Thankfully, the very helpful crew of expert guides ensured our safety. They intuitively knew when to encourage those who were apprehensive to take off from the platform. On the flipside of that, they knew when to make us laugh to soften the anxiety and anticipation. The park’s overall zipline setup provided a steady increase of distance, height, and speed allowing thrill-seekers to find that rush. The students who began nervously chatting away to calm themselves were happily screaming and howling for more only halfway through. 

Discovering the Difference Between Need and Want 

Breaking a habit formed from years and years of routine is not easy, to say the least. Students are faced with the decision to either spend money at a tourist gift shop or support a locally owned, family-run craft store; to buy treats at the supermarket or get their fill at mealtimes. They have spoken up in class about the hypocritical individuals, corporations, and governments that “greenwash” their sustainable, clean practices. As I watch them peruse the shops and stores, I get to witness them pick items up and mentally walk the tightrope of personal responsibility. These young people will soon return to the States. They will return with broken habits and newly built ideals. The message they carry is heavy, yet they grow mentally and physically stronger every day.