Singing, Shopping, and Lots of Chatter!

Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture

Frieda Gebert

It's hard to believe that less than a week ago our students didn't even know each. Now, they are laughing and talking like old friends and it is so good to listen to their chatter.

Yesterday they got to make a LOT of noise in the singing workshop. Our Italian voice teacher had the students improvising their first jazz performance using their growing Italian vocabulary - formaggio, spaghetti, They also got to learn the latest Italian pop hit "Una vita in vacanza!" 

Today we hit the outdoor market at the Campo de' Fiori. The students split into teams for a scavenger hunt, talking with all the vendors -  in Italian - to find the items on their list. They also had to note prices and colors in Italian. All participants were successful and happy to make a few small purchases.

Then it was on to a mosaic class where each student designed and crafted a piece using the same methods as Romans did 2500 years ago. (The teacher was really impressed with their work, by the way. She said they was some real artistic talent there!) 

Tomorrow, its off for the Coliseum and the Roman Forum with Simona, our resident archeologist. More to come, so stay tuned!