Samsø: Sun, wind and positive (renewable) energy

Taking Climate Action

Marc

While Samsø is known to be a haven for renewable energy, it is also a place to soak in the all the sun, wind and positive vibes. Our trip to Samsø began with an hour ferry ride from west Denmark on a cloudy Sunday morning. On our way there, we experienced heavy winds and rain, but upon arrival the sun was shining. 

Our first stop was in Norby, in the north of the island. There we enjoyed a lovely walk, with a little bit of sunshine and passing showers. For lunch we were treated to a delicious island burger, made with products from the island. After lunch we continued our island tour, with our next stop being the majestic and Guinness world record for largest maze, the Samsø Labyrinten. The students were given a trivia map, with the end goal to find a temple. We were split into teams and the race was on. The next stop on our first day tour was Issehoved, the tip of the island where two bodies of water meet. Ending our first day, some of the students decided to head to the beach in Kolby Kas to enjoy a quick late afternoon swim.

Our second day was a busy one. Our students visited Samsø’s Energy Academy to learn about the history and achievements made in Samsø when it comes to renewable energy. After the presentation, our guide Michael Kristensen gave us a tour around Samsø, showing all the wonders and achievements made in the island. Upon finishing the tour, Our CIEE center director treated us to a delicious ice cream in the town of Ballen.

The last day of our trip was a relaxing one, the students had morning class where they discussed what they learned in Samsø. In the afternoon we continued with our island tour, stopping by an organic farm. In the farm our students got go strawberry picking, learning about growing different veggies, seeing cows and even interacting with the hens (see pictures attached to this blog).

Our Samsø experience was a memorable one. The students had a blast in their lodging center, the city tours and learning about renewable energy. Hopefully this won’t be the last time we come to Samsø.