Researching Change: How the world is affected by Climate Change

Climate Change Mitigation

Rachael Zahn

"You must take action. You must do the impossible. Because giving up is never an option." -Greta Thunberg

Tour of a sugar cane farm and soap factory! 

During our classes on Climate Change Mitigation, students selected specific climate issues that are currently affecting our world. Presentations encompassed wildfires in Australia, Coral Reefs in Hawaii, the impact climate change is having on mental health, sea levels in the Philipines, and more. Spending almost a month in one of the most beautiful and natural places in the world, we are constantly reminded of what we need to protect. 

I asked some of the students to share what has impacted them the most since being here, what quotes stick out to them, pictures that have inspired them, etc. 

"H20 is the way to go." (In the context of hydropower as a renewable resource)- Kiyah

Nick has enjoyed, "looking at how climate change has impacted the world in recent years." 

"The extreme biodiversity of Costa Rica, specifically the Monteverde cloud forest, is an inspiration to everyone who cares about reversing climate change. The fact that we have the ability to fight for something so impactful spurs my hope for future generations." -Maddie