Renaissance Dream

Connecting Italian Art, History & Culture

Livia Giordano

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."

We don't know if this sentence has really been attributed to Michelangelo Buonarroti, but we know well that it was talking about the Renaissance spirit: innovation, creativity, and following dreams without fear. Our students started to discover this incredible period through Villa Medici and Villa D'Este. These villas were owned by the two cardinals from the most significant Renaissance families: the Medici from Florence and D'Este from Ferrara. First Cardinal Ippolito then Ferdinando decided to bring their family-style to Rome and create two gorgeous villas. 

Our students were impressed by the gardens of the Medici Villa; the simplicity of geometry is supported by marble statues, fountains, and meeting rooms. The next day, in Villa D'Este, students were fascinated even more. A spacious villa with giant gardens full of designed caves, endless fountains, statues, and family symbols. They learned about the story from our professional guide Simona and are getting closer to completing their art project!