The Religious Influence in Dominican Homes by Lucia B.

Leadership & Service in Youth Development

Emma Hauser

After being welcomed to the Dominican republic and introduced to my host family’s tradition and customs for the past week, there was something that really caught my eye in the household, and it was how big of a role religion took place in the home and country. My host family has a very large role in their church, so I was very excited to see what they were up to.

After spending a few days with them, I began to learn more about their daily life. They always say a prayer before eating a meal, and they wake up early every morning to go to church. I also noticed that the house was filled with religious symbols, portraits and statues. 

Even though my host family is a big part of their community church, it isn’t just them who are actively religious. When walking around the city, I saw a lot of people wearing religious necklaces such as rosaries, and as I am writing this, I can hear a neighbor blasting religious music. A few days ago when we were on the bus coming back from the beach, we saw a large group circle outside their home praying, and I thought that was very neat.

The pictures that I have included are some of my host family’s religious decorations (I got their permission!!).

Even though I can’t state every single occurrence, I really did get a message that religion is a big part of the Dominican culture.