Program Leaders L&C Session 2

German Language & Culture

Maria Seewaldt

We are half way through the program at this point! How is that even possible? We have been lucky to spend our summer with a group of pretty incredible kids! I keep saying we but who are we? I am pleased to introduce the Berlin Language and Culture, Session 2 Program leaders: 

Photo for blog post Program Leaders L&C Session 2

Emily Cramer 

Where you're from: Somerset, Pennsylvania
Profession: German Teacher
Years with CIEE: 1st year
Favorite German word: Pfannkuchen (pancake)
Favorite place in Berlin: Volkspark, Friedrichshain
Favorite German food: Schnitzel
Advice to students to make the most of their experience: Use your free time to explore parts of Berlin you will connect with/are curious about! 
German music suggestion: Peter Fox
Favorite city other than Berlin: Augsburg 
Movie title for our summer abroad session: (West) East Side Story

Amanda Henderson

Where you're from: Rochester, Michigan 
Profession: High School German Teacher
Years with CIEE: 2
Favorite German word: der Schnurrbart (mustache!)
Favorite place in Berlin: Anywhere I can get a cappuccino and people watch 
Favorite German food: Sauerkraut
Advice to students to make the most of their experience: Step out of your comfort zone and try new things. When someone offers you food you've never tried, just say yes! Try a lot of new things, you'll be grateful you did. 
German music suggestion: "Sowieso" and "Chöre" by Mark Forster
Favorite city other than Berlin: Leipzig
Movie title for our summer abroad session: Lernen and Lachen

Mike McCloskey 

Where you're from: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 
Profession: German Teacher
Years with CIEE: 4
Favorite German word: Eichhörnchen (squirrel)
Favorite place in Berlin: Tiergarten
Favorite German food: Käsespätzle
Advice to students to make the most of their experience: Don't let this opportunity to speak the language as much as possible/comfortable pass you by. A month seems like a long time but it will be over before you know it! 
German music suggestion: Cro
Favorite city other than Berlin:  Munich 
Movie title for our summer abroad session: ÖÖÖ ÄÄÄÄ Berlin!

Maria Seewaldt

Where you're from: Warsaw, New York, but now living in Buffalo
Profession: High School German Teacher
Years with CIEE: 1st year
Favorite German word: doch (however, still, yet, on the contrary...) 
Favorite place in Berlin: Grunewald
Favorite German food: Brötchen and Frischkäse 
Advice to students to make the most of their experience: Take this opportunity to learn about yourself while exploring a new city, language, and culture. Take your host family up on all of their suggestions of things to do and with them!
German music suggestion: Seeed (find me in one of their music videos) and Namika
Favorite city other than Berlin: Rostock
Movie title for our summer abroad session: Summer of SIM cards and Döner 

Aaron Wilkinson

Where you're from: Erie, Pennsylvania, but now living in Pittsburgh
Profession: German Teacher
Years with CIEE: 2 years with CIEE ( 3 if you count when I studied abroad with CIEE!)
Favorite German word: das Eis (ice cream)
Favorite place in Berlin: Any neighborhood park in Schöneberg. I love the greenery in Berlin! 
Favorite German food: Wiener Schnitzel and Pommes (French fries) w/ mayo, Kinder Bueno, and Apfelschorle 
Advice to students to make the most of their experience: Embrace both the huge cultural differences and tiny nuances between Germany and your home culture. Don't be afraid to try new things. It sounds so cliché, but it can be hard to step out of your comfort zone. Enjoy every moment of your experience, and when it's over, start planning the next trip. The thirst for traveling abroad can never be quenched. 
German music suggestion: Mark Foster and Culcha Candela are a couple of my favorite artists. "Cool Mit Mir Selbst" is my anthem. 
Favorite city other than Berlin: Frankfurt am Main. Frankfurt's multiculturalism mixed with German culture is fascinating to experience. 
Movie title for our summer abroad session: "Rünnnnnnn! That's Öur Träin!

We are a dynamic team and can't wait to see what is still to come in our home away from home, Berlin!