Post Return from Germany

German Language & Culture

Jennifer N.

Sometime soon, I know that I will be traveling back to Germany to experience it everything all over again. I still can't believe that I lived in Berlin for a month, and it still didn't feel long enough. It took me a while to realize that I was back in America where public transportation isn't as popular and there aren't bakeries around every corner. Two weeks after returning home in sunny California, I was able to reflect on my trip and have chosen 3 of my top photos.

In the first photo of my gallery, it is of me and my host parents, some of the loveliest people I got to connect close to during my whole trip. From always setting up an aesthetic breakfast to creating my favorite Asian dish and for always feeding me to the brim, they were the sweetest parents. They truly cared for me and always showed a positive mood.

In the second photo, it is of the BVG, the public transportation. I only started to miss public transpation and its efficiency when I came back to America. In America, our primary mode of transportation is with a car. Public transportation in Germany was insanely efficiently and a fun way to become more independent. You didn't have to worry about driving or running out of gas, and there would always be an U-Bahn, S-Bahn, Tram, or bus nearby at all times.

In the third and last photo, it is of my very last ice cream in Germany. The amount of times I ate ice cream during this trip was...well, not a healthy amount, but it was surely a delicious treat! The cheapness and high quality of the ice cream always made me come back, and it's something that just can't be replicated back in the states. I've eaten ice cream in America, but it's nowhere as creamy and delicious as German ice cream. If you ever go to Germany, ice cream is a must.

Through this program, I've become friends from all over America, including North Carolina and Texas. I was able to grow more independently, and of course, my language proficiency in German improved drastically in all areas, including speaking, listening, reading, or writing. There were so many things that surprised me, such as the efficiency of the public transportation and how dryers aren't used for laundry. If I had to sum my trip up in one word, it would be "marvelous".