Portland Sea Dogs Presentations: Attracting Millennials

Khaddija Jobe

Yesterday, after days of research and working to come up with ideas on how to help the Sea Dogs attract more millennials to games, the Global Navigators presented their ideas to the Sea Dogs management team. All of the teams did an amazing job conveying their ideas and speaking in front of their peers and the Sea Dogs management team. Each team came up with specific techniques and strategies they believed would attract more millennials to Sea Dogs games including how to properly manage their social media accounts, hosting educational fairs and creating promotions and raffles for attendees. The winning team was able to present data from the market research they conducted in downtown Portland days prior to the presentation. They were able to convince the Sea Dogs teams that focus on getting people interested in baseball was the initial step needed to get millennials to Sea Dogs game.

After their presentations, the Global Navigators started working on their next and final project for the program. This time around, they are tasked with coming up with a restaurant idea for the Portland area. Many teams spent a few hours conducting market research around the downtown Portland area to gain a sense of what some of the locals think about their ideas and what they think Portland’s restaurant scene is lacking. After conducting market research, the participants returned to the CIEE office where they had a presentation on data analysis by Jen Long, a data analyst that works at CIEE. They learned about asking the right questions and how to develop proper surveys that can truly be helpful in their research for the final project. Some students even had the chance to privately speak with Jen after the presentation was over to ask specific questions pertaining to their team ideas.

Today, the students will be visiting Fork Food Labs, a commercial kitchen here in the downtown Portland area that is used for startups looking for kitchen space to start their business. Later in the afternoon, they will be heading to the Maine Mall for much-requested shopping time!