Please Don't Stop the Music

K-Pop Immersion

Nikia Brown

Seoul Navigators arrived to the Land of the Morning Calm before the break of dawn at 4 a.m. Sunday morning. After a 14-hour plane ride, you would think the students would want to sleep the day away, but not so, my friends. Energized from the thrill of finally being in the same country as their most beloved K-Pop stars, students started the program with a full day of icebreakers, Korean pizza topped with corn and potatoes (Yes, that is a thing.), bowling, and Korean fried chicken. If a satisfied belly is the fastest way to Korea's heart, let's just say, it was love at first sight. 

The next day of the program officially commmenced with a comprehensive introduction to Korean culture and customs. From Korea's ancient devotion to the stars to Korean traditional dress and food, students became quickly charmed with the distinct and unique aspects of the Korean nation and people.          

Students bowing while wearing Korean traditional dress

American high school students learning to bow and pay respects to elders while dressed in Korean traditional garb.

After the Korean customs and culture presentation, students were spoiled with several courses of Korean traditional dishes. With spirits high and bellies full, students soon after headed to the bright and bustling area of Shinchon for a couple of rounds of Karaoke. The loyal fans practiced little to no restraint as they belted their favorite K-Pop songs by BTS, Black Pink, and Big Bang through the corridors of the Karaoke room.

Students sitting in a Karaoke room with bright lights flashing.

Students singing songs in a Karaoke room.

The next day, the students went head to head in a friendly competition in which each group had to take a creative photograph at key tourist locations around Seoul. The students visited Gwanghamun Palace, the National Museum of Korean Contemporary History, statues of King Sejong (author of the Korean language, Hangeul)  and Admiral Yi Sun-Shin (a respected naval commander), and Dongdaemun Design Plaza which is known for its impressive art exhibitions and fashion shows. Inspired by the natural creativity of this awe-inspiring city, both teams delivered photographs that will undoubtedly leave the judges with quite the conundrum. For now...we wait.

Students posing in front of Gwanghamun Palace in Seoul, South Korea.

Students replicating a statue in front of Dongdaemun Design Plaza.