Planting trees for a bright and healthy future

Alexander Schwank
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” ― Chinese proverb --- Over the last few days, we have learned a lot about the importance of a biodiverse and healthy planet. There are many problems facing our world today, such as pollution, urbanization, and deforestation, that pose real threats to the delicate balance of life on Earth as we know it. As we continue to delve deeper into these important issues, and grow to love our new homes Down Under, it has become more and more clear how important it is that we all take proactive steps to ensure a thriving and healthy future. --- One simple but powerful way we can all reduce our carbon footprints, help mitigate the effects of erosion and pollution, and protect the habitat for precious local wildlife, is to plant trees! --- At the local Banksia Woodlands, we partnered with members of Murdoch University to plant a variety of different species of trees while also having a cookout and rocking out to throwback jams from timeless acts like the Backstreet Boys. Yesterday, we planted over 1100 trees with an organization called SERCUL to help restore an important wetland area. Trees provide so much life to all of us, and it felt really good to get our hands dirty and give a little bit back. --- Wherever we go in life, we all have opportunities to make an impact, no matter how big or small. This country constantly inspires us to enjoy the moment and engage consciously with the world around us. We have grown really close as a group over the past week and a half, and we head to our weekend trip at Rottnest Island grateful for the lessons we have learned and ready for the adventures ahead.