Phane Worms, Traditional Dancing, and Local Games!

Botswanan Wildlife Conservation

Brittany Sumner

Dumelang ditsala le batadi (Hi friends and family or old ones),

Yesterday, was full of good food, dancing and local games! We started the day off by finishing up orientation and making sure the students understand what is going to be happening the next few weeks!

After orientation we headed to a local non-profit called “Food & Craft”. Food & Craft is a local restaurant, catering company, thrift store, and non-profit dedicated to embracing the local culture of Botswana and making sure it is remembered and appreciated. Basetsana, the in-country director, picked this location for lunch so that we could support a organization that is trying to create jobs for the youth of Botswana. They served us local food with a modern twist to it. Below is a video some of the students made about the food! 

[VIDEO::https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_2qtI08uNI]

We had phane worms, which is a local staple in the community. There was also pop (a corn dish similar to grits) and Botswana beans. Below you can see some of the reactions to the worm. The flavor was described as “Similar to sunflower seeds with a more earthy flavor”.

After a delicious meal we experienced some of the traditional dancing called, setapa and Borankana. We we’re taught how to do some of the traditional moves and dances!

After learning about Setswana food, dancing and games, we are excited to visit their  local schools today  and learn more about their school culture.  Check-in tomorrow to hear about the students school experience!