Our Mallorquin Family

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Jenna Lanzaro

As we approach the midpoint of our program (gasp!) and the end of our time on the vivacious island of Mallorca, we can't believe that we've all only known each other for 11 days! Living together in the dorms, immersing ourselves in Spanish, and navigating the beautiful complexities of a new culture has really shaped us into a (33 person) family.

Today, our Marine Biologists tended to mind, body, and soul with acro-yoga on the beach, followed by a clean-up and catelogue of the debris. 

Photo for blog post Our Mallorquin Family

We discussed how plastic moves through the ocean; our Site Coordinator, Hannah, told us she'd once found a bottle with Arabic writing on it that had probably traveled to Mallorca from northern Africa. We felt good about playing a small part in bettering the community, and also empowered to return to our own communities with increased knowledge and initiative.

The acro-yoga made us feel confident, too!

...and creative...

...and...well...sometimes it was more about the effort than the final result.

We have two more days at our home in Palma before migrating Saturday morning to Alcudia (on the northern part of the island), where there's sure to be more bonding, more laughs, and, if today was an indicator, more wipe-outs.