Our first Friday

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Flor Peraza

Time flies when you are part of the CIEE L&C program, and students know that.

The first week has finished! We had a lot of fun activities during these five days: students got the chance to meet each other, visited the CIEE center for the first time, went to downtown Mérida and ate ice cream together. Some students even went to a mall to hang out and have a good time! They bonded quickly.  

Most of the students are very excited to be in Mexico! This Friday we had our first contest; each group of class had to create a badge that represents them. The first thing to do was choose a name (in Spanish of course!) and then create a badge with different materials that were provided.

As a PL It was so gratifying to see how students from the 3B class organized each task and worked together as a team (speaking in Spanish!). On Monday we will know who the winner is; I think it will be a very difficult competition!

After we finished our badge, we started the scavenger hunt! This was a very interesting activity because we had the chance to get to know Merida a little bit better. We visited different places such as theaters, churches, parks, etc. Students were tired but did not give up! When all the groups finished the activity, they went straight to CIEE center and enjoyed some snacks that CIEE staff had prepared for them.