Our First Few Days in Berlin

German Language & Culture

Julianne O'Connell

It has been three days since our group flight from JFK and I am excited to announce that we made it! Despite some delays, missed flights, rerouting trains and some lost luggage all 37 students and 4 program leaders have assembled at the CIEE Global Institute in the Kreuzberg kiez (neighborhood) of Berlin, Germany. We are so lucky be working with Sonja and Rachel, our Program Coordinator and her assistant, who put together a truly wonderful program for our first few days. So far our students have been fitted with their new German handy (cellphone), have tried riding the U-Bahn (subway), have met with their host families, have gone through countless hours of orientation, and are having their first official German class as I write this. It has been a busy few days but the students have been awesome, showing up every day with excitement and smiles and already learning so much!

Here are a few impressions from our first days in Berlin.

Photo for blog post Our First Few Days in Berlin
Ready to fly!
Shortly after our arrival in Tegal! First views of Berlin!

Our classes are housed at the CIEE Global Institute which we also use as a home base. It is a very modern building complete with a cafe and the students have enjoyed hanging out here before, after and in between classes.

First impressions at orientation!

Be on the lookout for more posts coming this week where we take you on some of the tours we have been on and show you some of the things we have been learning. We will also be showcasing some of the amazing students we have on the program and featuring them as guest bloggers so stay tuned!

Danke und bis bald!

Julianne