Our First Day in Palma

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Jenna Lanzaro

We're here! Our Global Navigators braved flights delays, cancellations, and lost baggage to get to Palma de Mallorca, Spain, and we're so proud of their positivity and open-mindedness! We're thrilled that our whole group is finally together - 30 students all ready for fantastic adventures.

Photo for blog post Our First Day in Palma

We've been getting comfortable at our campus home, exploring the dorm, swimming in the pool across the street, and learning how to order our dinners in Spanish. At our curfew check the first night, many students reported that their bedroom windows were "boarded up." We were confused, until we realized that they didn't know how to open their typical Spanish blinds! After "un-boarding" the windows, students enjoyed the fresh breeze at night.

This morning, we had our first Marine Biology class. Bea, their instructor, provided them with an introduction to the course.

This afternoon, we caught a bus into Palma for a scavenger hunt around the city. Our Global Discovery kids were BEASTS (except for the groups who were slowed down by gelato stops). Group 3 literally sprinted to the finish to beat out our Language and Culture students.

Whether they raced to the finish, or casually wandered to the finish dripping with tiramisu gelato, all of our students had fun getting to know the city - and each other. They visited sights like the famous Catedral-Basílica de Santa María de Mallorca, Parque del Mar, and more plazas than we could count.

We're all excited to head into Palma again tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Hasta luego!