Orientation in Johannesburg

Leadership & Service Through Mandela's Example

Alexis Savas

Our Cape Town Leadership Program Session 1 Global Navigators have had a wonderful orientation here in Johannesburg! 

The first excursion landed us on Constitution Hill. There, students learned about the history of South African Apartheid practices and human rights violations, along with the path to South Africa's democracy. The Great African Steps divide the horrors of the Apartheid Past in Number 4 to the hope for the future in the Constitutional Court- a place where Human Rights are upheld in all 11 of South Africa's official languages. Through deep discussions, the group processes what they learn so that they can be leaders in the future- helping to further the aims of freedom for all. Learning about the struggle for democracy contined the next day in Soweto (Southern Western Township), the only place in the world where two Nobel Peace Prize winners lived on the same street. The students saw the home of both Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela and learned more about the lives of Winnie and Nelson Mandela by touring the family home, asking deep questions, and critically thinking about how the past struggles are similar to struggles of people around the world today. After the Hector Pieterson museum and learning about the uprisings of 1976 in Soweto, we were invited into Chez Alina, a home-turned-restaurant where the students were able to sample a variety of traditional South African dishes- samp, pap, creamed spinach, beef stew, and chakalaka! 

Our last day of our Johannesburg orientation took us outside the city to the Cradle of Humankind and the Sterkfontein Caves. The students learned about excavations of dolomite and limestone caves where the oldest complete skeletons of human ancestors have been found. Donning helmets and bravery, the students crawled, climbed, and scooted in the caves to see formations and excavation sites. After the caves, they were able to explore the Cradle of Humankind museum to learn even more about the area.

Tomorrow we are off to Cape Town, armed with knowledge of the past and present of South Africa in order to continue our leadership work into the future!