Noche de Luz y Sonido - Our first evening outing

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Sabine Williams

On Friday evening, the session I Language and Culture Program attended the Luz y Sonido (light and sound) show projected on the side of the San Ildefonso Cathedral in Merida's central Plaza Grande.  Built between 1562 and 1599, the cathedral is the oldest Catholic church on the American continents, preceded only by the Cathedral of Santo Domingo located in the Dominican Republic. 

During the light show, we learned more about this historic city, built upon the ancient and advanced Mayan city of T'Ho.  As they invaded the Yucatan Peninsula in the 16th century, Spanish colonists decimated many of T'Ho's buildlings and used the rocks to erect the San Ildefonso Cathedral.  As such, the cathedral stands as a notable representation of Merida and Yucatan's long and complex history, which integrates Mayan, European, and modern influences.  The light and sound show itself used an impressive combination of art, culture, and digital media to illustrate this legacy.

As we debriefed after the show, we talked about how the history of colonialism and the importance of Mayan culture can still be observed and felt in Merida and in Yucatan today.  We also learned about local fauna, such as hummingbirds and butterflies, which were animals of great significance in the Mayan culture.  The show was just a taste of some of what we will be exploring during the rest of the program, and we just can't wait!