New Journeys within the City Center of Amsterdam...and Beyond!

Inside World Governance

Gregory Gaylor

If the adage "a picture is worth a thousand words" is to hold any validity, this has definitely been true in Europe! From enjoying the picturesque landscapes and traditions of Dutch culture that could only ever truly exist in a location as beautiful and tranquil as Zaanse Schans to watching the criminal proceedings of an international warlord at Den Haag (The Hague) take place in real time, World Government and the multiple complexities to what it definitively entails and how it functions as a collective unit have been the main theme during our time thus far in The Netherlands. 

Although descibed and defined as "a city on the North Sea coast of the western Netherlands. Its Gothic-style Binnenhof (or Inner Court) complex is the seat of the Dutch parliament, and 16th-century Noordeinde Palace is the king’s workplace. The city is also home to the U.N.’s International Court of Justice, headquartered in the Peace Palace, and the International Criminal Court," it is so much more than that just that! Being provided with a guided tour of the organization allowed us a better perspective into what the daily workings and procedures of an institution so important to the global stage actually entail. 

And, although modern life in Amsterdam has provided us with the many comforts that we have become used to and expect in other international cities spanning the globe, a daytrip to beautiful and serene Zaanse Schans allowed us access to how the Dutch truly lived in the days of yore - the cleanest of fresh air, the caring of livestock (pigs, goats, sheep, and cows), windmill-generated sources of power and energy, clogs, and tulipswere just some of the things we discovered.

A visit to Rijks Museum was also enjoyed where we were able to view some of the most renown pieces of artwork to be found anywhere in the world by both Dutch and international artists.