Nature Walks, Village Visits and Cala Hikes in Alcúdia

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Penelope de Leon

Last Friday we went to do some bird watching in S'Albufereta with our global navigators and Biology teacher, Bea. S'Albufereta is a coastal wetland on the Bay of Pollença, also part of the Natura 2000 Network committed to the conservation of plant and animal species in their natural habitats. We learned about the different birds and species that habiitat S'Albufereta while trying to catch sight of some of them.

Photo for blog post Nature Walks, Village Visits and Cala Hikes in Alcúdia

We then continued our morning in the old town of Alcúdia which is enclosed by a medieval wall. We had some cold drinks and ice cream and did a little bit of shopping for some typical Mallorquín gifts. The name Alcúdia comes from an Arabic word meaning "on the hill". 

After out quick stop in Alcúdia, the real fun started. we made our way to La Vitoria for  our camping weekend with Terra i Mar. We arrived to the campgrounds in time for lunch and after setting up in our tents we were ready for some water sports. Tomeu and his trained team of professionals took us coasteering to explore by way of swimming and walking along the rocky coastline. After some water activity it was back to camp for dinner and games with our camp leaders. Saturday morning bright and early we started our hike to the beautiful cala of Coll Baix. These kids were troopers on this hot day going up and down mountains and over rocks to arrive to this pristine cala. We even had some friendly visitors while there. After a great day spent on the beach doing some snorkeling and sunbathing, our chariot picked us up sea side. The kids were so grateful they didn't have to climb back up to head back to camp. The boat took us to port with a fun swim on the way and then it was gelato of course. I think Saturday wore us out but I would say it was one of the highlights of our trip.