Moving Mountains.... or at least going to the top of them!

Leadership & Service Through Mandela's Example

Alexis Savas

Our CIEE Global Navigators have arrived in Cape Town!  The Mother City is towered over by both Table Mountain and Lion's Head, and our students summited both- Table Mountain by Cable Car and Lion's Head by sheer willpower.  Using leadership skills to help their teammates, our students hiked, climbed, scrambled, and shimmied up the path and were rewarded with amazing views and a huge sense of accomplishment! 

During our debrief sessions, students talked about how their leadership styles showed up during the hike. They were able to reflect on things they could improve upon (waiting for others) and things they did well (being cheerleaders for their team and keeping a positive attitude). Students are so positive and always find the time to talk about their favorite parts of the day, think about what could have gone better, and have a positive attitude about the next day's activities. They also have time for self-reflection during journaling time each evening so they can think deeply in a quiet space about their adventures.

Our group also knows that one of the secrets to any trip is a good dessert! We love going as a group to a local milkshake bar to celebrate our group adventures with dessert! Our community in Muizenberg is a great night out as a group for our students!