Movimiento with the City and its People

Tate Sheppard

Movimiento: Bike Rides, Film Animation and Tango

Bikes in Buenos Aires

The rain held off and Monday we got to do our bike tour! Argentina threw us a curveball though because when we got to the ecological reserve, it was closed due to bad weather! What bad weather!? Being a flexible group, we instead decided to bike around Puerto Madero for as long as we could handle the nip in the air (five miles total!). We had a great time biking through the many parks of this flashy neighborhood despite the chilly wind. Puerto Madero has the most green space of any barrio in Buenos Aires and we got to see it firsthand!

Score!

On Tuesday students were able to interview Fernando Primavera, one of the animators of the film Metegol that we watched last week. Below is the english dubbed trailer.

Fernando told us about the process of making an animated film and how it can be applied to any creatiive process, including that of the students. He had this piece of advice for filmmakers: "Feel the shot. The characters will tell you when it needs to end."

It Takes 20 to Tango

After an adventurous bus ride where our driver got briefly turned around and locals demanded to be able to get off and walk, we made it to Casa Colombo, a restaurant housing a vast dance floor in its basement where Tango lessons are taught before the floor is freed for open Milonga at night. We all participated in a beginners class and either gracefully swept or North American stumbled our way across the floor. After dinner upstairs, students returned to the floor to watch the open milonga and some even jumped in and danced with each other and with locals!

What does your movimiento look like this week?