The Most Epic Hike Ever from La Victoria Down to Coll Baix

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

DeAnnett Sanchez

Buenos Dias Amigos! It's Dee here with my final post of the summer for CIEE! What an incredible whirlwind these last 3 weeks have been, with the height of the program culminating into a super enjoyable bike ride to Aula de la Mar, and an absolutely exhilarating hike up the highest mountain peak in Alcudia (La Victoria) and down to one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever laid eyes on (Coll Baix)! I had to pinch myself a few times this week to see if I was dreaming! When life is so fantastic that it seems like a dream, you know you've selected the right High School Study Abroad program! Let's dive into what we experienced together!

Photo for blog post The Most Epic Hike Ever from La Victoria Down to Coll Baix

It was a gorgeous sunny Wednesday, and our students were itching to get on the bikes and zoom along the Mediterranean Sea! Our first adventure was to Aula de la Mar. Aula de la Mar is an interactive Marine Biology science lab sponsored by the local government of the Balearic Islands to educate students, teachers, and the general public on the beauty of the Mediterranean. Students were able to handle preserved marine specimens, and view freshly collected phytoplankton, nematodes, and other microscopic creatures under powerful microscopes. The passion that was displayed by the staff here was infectious, and the students absorbed their newfound knowledge like sea sponges!

We then cruised down to Es Carnatge, which is a coastal natural area with small sandy coves and rocky accesses that featured Posidonia meadows and marine species that can only be found here and only a few other places around Mallorca. Es Carnatge also serves as one of the only dog friendly beaches in the area, and it was lovely to see pups galavanting joyously around the beach while we were being educated on this special marine zone. We then wrapped up the day with ice cream, shopping, and a dip into the ocean in Can Pastilla. It was overall an active and educational day, with a challenging hike awaiting us the following morning.

For me personally, the hike was my favorite activity from all of the program. Getting out of the city into the nature is so beneficial for the students, as city life only represents one small aspect of the rich treasure that is Mediterranean culture. There was a sense of nervousness in the air as students were realizing that they would be stretching their comfort zones that day, but in the best sense possible. All safety measures accounted for, we survived the hike with barely a scrape on a knee! We were led by Tomeu of the adventure tour company Terra y Mar, and I could not recommend a more perfect person to lead us on our journey. Tomeu knew the hike like the back of his hand, and enthusiastically and safely led students to one of the most spectacular sights in all of Mallorca.

After reaching the highest of heights, what goes up must come down! And down did we go. The descent was truly marvelous as the students looked back at the mountain they had scaled and exclaimed- "We DID THAT?!" I truly relished in that moment, as it was so powerful for the students to realize that they can achieve more than they realize they are capable of. The real reward came when we arrived to the beach of Coll Baix. The water was more blue then any beach I've seen in Mallorca thus far! It was pristine, with a luminous blue glow that sparkled in the sunlight. Tomeu and his crew had so kindly prepared small beach tents for us to relax into and rest in the shade. He took us snorkeling and cliff diving as well! It was so gratifying to see the students really step out and shine at the new activities they were trying. We were even joined on the beach by wild beach goats!

Finally, came the absolute pinnacle of the experience when we realized we weren't doing the 5 kilometer hike back to where we started- we were cruising back in a catamaran, baby! We were all so thrilled. It was the crown cherry on the top of the cake! What a treat we were offered, laying on the nets soaking up the sun and jumping off the boat into the radiant turquoise waters. It was a real motivation to always push yourself from your comfort zone, you never know what prize may lay on the other side!

Overall, it was an exciting and sensational experience and I couldn't have been more proud and delighted for the students. I truly hope they gained a new sense of invigoration for life, and an idea of which direction they would like to go with their goals and intentions. We all grew together personally through this hike, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat! 

Thank you for reading, and I hope you will join us next summer for the next edition of High School Summer Study Abroad in Palma! Take care, and remember to keep learning and exploring!