More Adventures in the Sacred Valley

Alyson Nolte

Today, we visited two more spectacular sites in the Sacred Valley: Moray and Maras. 

Our first stop was Moray. This archaelogical park might look like something left behind by aliens, but in fact it was a kind of agricultural laboratory for the ancient Incas. They measured the success of crops at different temperatures of the soil, which they achieved through working with the natural landscape and constructing terraces at varying levels. 

Photo for blog post More Adventures in the Sacred Valley

From Moray, we headed over to the salt mines of Maras. This series of 5,000 tiny ponds has been used to obtain salt since pre-Inca times. Water carrying salt minerals flows down the terraces and evaporates, leaving salty residue behind. Today, the ponds belong to different families from the community and are still used to collect salt. Not only did this place offer more spectacular views, but one of the popular items to take home from Maras is some delicious chocolate made with salt from the Maras pools! Many students took advantage of the free samples and bought some to take home.

Our next Sacred Valley adventure will be the one everyone has been waiting for: Machu Picchu! Stay tuned for tales of tomorrow's expedition to this world wonder.