Mission Possible!

Anthony Abate

On our final night in Marrakech, the students found out about the next morning's surprise adventure: zip-lining through the longest zip-lining course in Africa! The course was made famous as it was featured in Mission Impossible as Tom Cruise zipped through it. After an early breakfast at the hotel, we were on our way one hour south of Marrakech. We wound our way through lush valleys carving their ways through bone dry desert landscapes dotted with tiny villages and picturesque overlooks. Upon arrival at the course, the students used the brief waiting time to describe some of the new objects they have discovered since being in Morocco, including tajines and household items. They were only able to describe the objects using gestures without speaking to the group. 

Photo for blog post Mission Possible!

Once it was our turn to embark on the adventure, our guides gave us a safety instruction, and we quickly jumped into our gear and started off on the course. Our first step was crossing a wooden rope bridge extending out over an enormous ravine! We had no time to wait to decide if we were ready, as the guides instantly secured our ropes and started sending us across one-by-one. As more people stepped on the bridge, the floor stretched and made it harder for shorter members of the group to keep up with the group. Some people were walking out of stride, causing the bridge to sway drastically for a moment. Despite the group's collective audible fear, many members of the group spoke up yelling to the rest of the group to step gently and stay calm in order to cross quickly and efficiently. It was hard to maintain leadership skills in the face of fear, but the group did an excellent job.

Photo for blog post Mission Possible!

As soon as we crossed the bridge and turned to the right, we were faced with an even deeper and wider valley with a wire cable extending into the distance over the rocks and trees below! The group was shocked that we would be hanging on that cable to cross the valley at a high speed, but we had no time to waste! The first person quickly zipped off with a few screams, and we could see them waiting as a tiny dot in the distance for the rest of the group as they took off. Some did not make it entirely across and had to turn around and pull themselves along the rope to the end, which they quickly did. 

After three increasingly long ziplines, we reached the longest zipline of the course. It crossed a huge canyon lined with purple jagged rock walls. It was certainly an intimidating sight, and many of the students screamed at the idea of jumping on another rope to cross, especially as the guide told us that many would not reach the end due to the incline of the wire and would have to pull themselves the last 50 feet or so! The guide pushed the students with force to propel them across the canyon, and they disappeared into the distance! 

Photo for blog post Mission Possible!

Despite fear and the heat, the entire group made it to the end of the course happily and safely! Many said it was the most fun part of the trip so far, and it was definitely an experience of a lifetime.