Mercados, frutas ricas, y juegos!

Climate Change Mitigation

Roseangela Hartford
Bienvenidos to the Session 1 High School Global Navigator Building a Sustinable Planet Blog! We are thrilled to kick off classes with topics in resilience, the pros and cons of urban living, and the Costa Rican circumstances that challenge and influence sustainability compartively throughout the Latin America.

FUN FACT ALERT: Costa Rica abolished their military in 1948. Because of this, the country has been able to redistribute their spending towards education, renewable energy, social service provision, and conservation.

As we settle in to Alajuela, a city of approximately 365,000 people just outside of the capital San Jose, the students had the opportunity to visit the local market. We purchased some delicious fruits such as passionfruits (granadillas), oranges (naranjas), star fruits (carambolas), cas, and so much more! Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the sour and sweetness of the exotic fruits.

Photo for blog post Mercados, frutas ricas, y juegos!

Ella (left) and Cloe (right) clearly enjoyed the sour fruits the most!

After lecture and our food break, we kept the momentum going with high stakes game of cards that all students participated in. Bonding time surely started off with a seemingly competitive yet lighthearted spirit...

​"Getting to play cards with everyone was a great way to get acquainted with everyone! It was super fun to have the opportunity to practice Spanish in the market." - Isabella
"I was definitely excited to be here to go out for the first time in Costa Rica and have the chance to roam the market independently. Talking with locals, trying new fruit with everyone, and getting a fun introduction to the group was a great start!" - Karime

Next up: visit to La Carpio and San Jose!