Mayapán (the last great Maya capital)...and the greatest guac

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

Angel Fross

Mayapán and guacamole...what do they have in common? Well, Mayapán is known at the last great capital of the Mayas and guacamole was created by the Aztecs. Does that answer the question? No, but it's interesting! Use that the next time you're at trivia.

We started our day as the first visitors at Mayapán, which was absolutely incredible. I could not believe what we saw was only about ten percent of the entire city. If you are familiar with Chichen Itzá, just think of Mayapán as a smaller version. The city fell around 1450, and is very well maintained and not very well known. 

My favorite buildings were the pyramids, of course, but it was fascinating seeing so many different places of worship, the crematorium, and the hall of kings. It was blazing hot today, so I am very thankful we had such an early start! 

After a lunch break and lots of water, we went to a local market while the students shopped for ingredients for their guacamole. Later on, they would have a heated competition on who could make the best guac on the following criteria: plating/presentation, taste, secret ingredient, and performance (they had to "pitch" their creation to us). In the end, we had a winner in each category, and also an overall winner! There was lots of cheering for sure...and maybe some competitive talk, too.