Markthalle Anyone?!

German Language & Culture

Jeanelle Wheeler

"My stomach is doing a little dance!"  That's what one student, KC, told me on our group bus ride this afternoon.  He explained with a smile, "Here in Germany, the food seems overall a lot less processed and more natural.  Cheaper as well." 

Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!

His stomach was not the only one celebrating the freshness of local food in Berlin.  We all were.  And today students had the chance to take their German language lessons about food in the classroom and use it in real life as well.  That's why we were heading...to the Markthalle!

"Hey!  There's 'mein Zimmer!'" KC exclaimed on the bus, pointing to the street we were driving by.  He seemed excited and proud that we were driving by his new German home.  That we were visiting his neighborhood.  While Berlin has traditional indoor markets throughout the city that offers local, fresh food to the neighborhood, the Markthalle we visited today was in Kreuzberg - the neighborhood where CIEE is. And the neighborhood that some students like KC now call home.

Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!

As we got off the bus and turned the corner to the entrance, it was clear we had arrived.  We were greeted by a sign that said "MARKTHALLE" in huge letters above what looked like an old train station.  It is one of the few remaining historic market halls from the 19th century.  When inside, here's what greeted us:

Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!

Lights draped across the ceiling.  Stickers scattered across the wall.  Organic ice creaml  Argentinian empanadas.  Spheres of cheese piled high.  Vegan baklava.  Fresh vegetables like mini watermelons.  A mini-mart within the market.  A small playground.  Plants decorating communal seating areas.  And posters announcing the next community events.  For "Street Food Thursdays."  And for community cooking classes that brought together a circle of locals today that were chatting away together.

Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!

For some students, this was their first time in an indoor market.  They loved that food from all different places could all come together inside.  

Other students loved the chance to grab some ice cream on this hot day.  The amount of flavors was dizzying.  (And as a vegan, I must note that Berlin feels like vegan paradise.  There options everywhere for so many dietary preferences!)  So while Daniella student raved about the blueberry ice cream, I dove into my delicious vegan apple cinnamon treat!

Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!

After snapping some ice cream photos, Andre discovered a photo booth and a sticker-covered train.  Time for some more photos! 

Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!
Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!

Then Emilio appeared and had his own adventure...(Is Andre holding him up with one hand?  That's the magic of the Markthalle.)

Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!

And in the end, KC found the fresh food that his stomach was loving.  We all left the Markthalle refreshed.  Our stomachs were dancing.  And our hearts said "danke!"

Photo for blog post Markthalle Anyone?!