Mallorca's little Oasis

Mediterranean Marine Ecosystems & Sustainability

Dayana Gomez

Going back to basics was our motto for our trip to Cabera this week. The island of Cabrera is located in the southern coast of Mallorca. You can only arrive by boat, and that we did! 

8 am boat rides >.<
8 am boat rides >.<

The island of Cabrera is a protected National park leaving this archipelago unspoiled. Here our students were able to dive into crystal-clear waters and virgin sea-beds. Our students got to snorkel in rich and varied flora and fauna where they saw a live octopus and starfish. We were all surprised how the fish didn't scurry off and instead danced with us in the waves. We began to ask ourselves: why is that? We discussed the importance of noise pollution and overfishing. We listened to the quietness, to the sounds of the waves, the cicadas buzzing around. After a crazy 2020, it was nice to go back to basics. Where we had no cellphone service, no where to be but here, and only had the food and water we brought. It was like we stood still in time, it was Paradise.

Photo for blog post Mallorca's little Oasis
Cicadas! 

After our work-field activity, we jumped back onboard where we travelled into the corners of the Mediterranean. Our captain took us into this cove where we snorkeled one last time  and swam around in this unforgettable Blue Cave. It was exhilarating swimming in the dark and diving into the blue water. We could see the sun shine through the darkness and watch the fish glisten in the light. Cabrera is a hidden jewel that offers nature in its purest form.  A dream place where time is suspended.

The Blue Cave