Magic Monday

Spanish Language & Mexican Culture

This morning our students were very excited to attend class in person in the school building after a week of online classes. Classes are held at the CIEE Center, located in the beautiful, historic center of Mérida, Yucatán. We are thankful to be able to interact face-to-face (masked, of course) with our classmates, teachers, CIEE staff, and Program Leaders. During their breaks, students enjoy relaxing, playing cards, snacking, and hanging out with their new friends in the student lounge or patio. After language classes, the group boarded two open-air busses for a guided tour of Mérida's major historic sites. Students now have an idea of the layout of the oldest part of Mérida and they can return with their friends or host families to the locations that most piqued their interest. We continued the afternoon with Community Conversations in Parque Santa Lucía. Students use their vocabulary and newfound language skills to have meaningful interactions with locals about a topic they have been studying in class. What a way to start Week 2!