Living that campo life!

Chrissy Gill

We have had some very busy days here in La Colorada, despite being in the country!

Yesterday we started the day off with a buzz... literally! We visited the beekeeping area and were able to see how bees create their hives and make their honey. Plus, nobody got stung! 

In the afternoon we learned how to make soap and were able to help out a bit by packaging the soaps.

Afterwards, we took a tour of the neighborhood where we learned about different community programs such as rain sisterns, natural gas containers, and dry toilets. Unfortunately, the skies opened up mid-tour, so we all got a little extra exercise... running in the rain!

This morning we got to "madrugar", which means get up early. How early? Four in the morning! Ay ay ay!

We got up early to help prepare breakfast for the community. The community center here provides a low-cost breakfast option for families, so we helped make atole, a corn drink, and some doughnuts and baguettes.

Today also happened to be Rachel's birthday, so she was greeted with a serenade and a cake. What a way to start the day!

Happy birthday Rachel!!

Afterwards, we met with a group of incredible women who run a community mill where anyone can come to grind their corn. They then use their profits towards community needs, such as a new roof in the community center. 

It was awesome to hear from such strong, innovative women who care so much for their community.

Tomorrow is our last day in Mexico... what??? How did that happen?!