Livin' La Vida Pura!

Helena O.

Whoa. I honestly can’t believe that it’s already been a full week since I flew in to Costa Rica. So much has happened in those seven days. 

Firstly, they were not joking when they said that we were going to have rice and beans here everyday. Literally, every day, we’ve had frijoles at least once a day (generally twice on average). But hey, I’m not complaining, because it is DELICIOUS. 

I love how we're constantly seeing so many animals, and I learn so much everyday about them, their habitats, and conservation in general. While admiring how beautiful they are, it makes me realize how important and precious each living thing is, since we're all connected and we need one another. Some of the creatures we have seen so far that I love include scarlet macaws, three toed sloths, humpback whales, and dolphins. 

Costa Ricans, or Ticos, constantly say “Pura Vida”. It directly translates to “pure life”. They say it as a greeting, but it is also a way of life here. It means to relax and appreciate life, to not stress out but enjoy the moment. And the Ticos are very good at this. Wherever we go, they’re extremely friendly and truly know how to live the pura vida.

Other little surprising things: how much the Ticos love the color red (so many red cars and roofs) and the unfortunate case of not being able to flush toilet paper because of the plumbing systems.  

Everyone in the program, leaders and my peers alike, are always open and friendly with me. Especially in the time we were in the biological station (the past four days), we’ve really come together and bonded. Being in a place with no service, no hot water, and limited electricity is especially good at allowing us to get to know each other and share lots of time together. I already know that the upcoming weeks will be amazing partly because of them. 

I love learning Spanish here. Seeing Spanish everywhere and hearing it all around helps me intake more of it and makes me feel like I’m part of this language as well, especially when I understand it. Plus, it’s hard to beat having a Spanish class on the beach by a rainforest. 

Everyday is jam-packed with all sorts of adventures, which I love about the program. Going to 10,000 feet in altitude in the mountains, snorkeling, catching bats, and jumping from heights into a river in the rainforest to name a few. It makes everyday so special and never fails to keep me wondering about the next day. There are always more memories to make and more stories to tell. 

See you in another week!

Helena 

\(^_^)/