Last Week in Germany

German Language & Culture

Jennifer N.

After studying abroad in Germany for a month, I can say that everyone should be able to travel abroad at least once in their lifetimes because it truly is an experience that will shape your perspectives in ways you have may never imagined.

Before the program, my German was primarily stronger in writing and reading, leaving my listening and speaking skills weaker, but after immersing myself in the culture and forcing myself to think in German, I have definitely improved in speaking and listening. To be able to order, to think, to communicate, and to ask questions purely in German is something that I normally would not be able to do a classroom setting. Back in the US, learning German in school is more about passing a class, getting a 5 on the AP German exam, and is more for the logistical purposes rather than the practical purposes, which this CIEE program emphasizes instead.

By simply talking to strangers, learning German in class and then applying it in the real world, and speaking with my host family in German, I was able to improve on my weak spots and strengthen on my stronger ones. Without this program, my love for German and my German knowledge would not as high as it is now.

On a different note, in the last week of the program, my favorite exercise from the whole program was the Scavenger Hunt (Schnitzeljagd)! We were placed in groups with new people, and although we jaywalked in front of police cars, nearly got crushed by the U-Bahn doors, and ran for our lives to reach each checkpoint, it was an incredible experience to view tourist sights we weren't able to visit before, to bond with new friends, and to work collaboratively as a team.

In addition to learning German and exploring the city of Berlin, we also had an activity every week day called "Community Conversations". We would have to ask complete strangers every day a few questions in German and had to record their responses. It was a great opportunity to go outside of my bubble and apply my German in a real case scenario. I was able to think, on the spot, which words I had to use in order to convey my message correctly and to switch easily between formal and informal pronouns.

If you ever have the chance to study abroad, even if you know or don't know the language already, you should definitely seize the opportunity to do so because it'll change you as a person in incredible, positive ways.

Bis bald, und tschüss!