La tauromaquia

Honors Spanish Language & Culture

Ryan VanSant

A Spanish tradition dating back to the 8th century, la tauromaquia, or Bullfighting, holds a major place in the cultural dimension of the Iberian peninsula. Did you know that the first offical bullfight was to honor the coronation of King Alfonso VIII in 711? During the season of the corridas de toros that runs from March to October, a corrida de toros takes place each and every Sunday with 6 toros y 3 toreros (6 bulls and 3 bullfighters)

Today, the Advanced Language and Culture program attended a private tour of one the most important bullfighting rings in the world, La Plaza de Toros in Madrid. Throughout the tour, our incredible students learned about the history of bullfighting, it's cultural beginnings, what it takes to become un torero and of course it's cultural and political impact today. Check out some of the photos above to see our honorary madrileños in their journey here in Spain! We are off to an incredible start, even with the infamous Madrid summer heat. ¡A aprendar más y disfrutar este verano!