Keti Koti: Ceremony and Celebration

Smart Cities & Sustainability

Lisa Neylan

Students were in the Netherlands at a historic moment. One hundred and fifty years after the abolition of slavery, at the annual Keti Koti festival that celebrates liberation, the King of the Netherlands issued an official apology for the heinous acts against men, women, and children comitted in the name of the crown. He did so at the Slavery Monument that is located in the park just outside the hostel where we are staying. Students watched from the park or on jumbo screens in the Museumplein. Reactions were mixed both in our group and in the Netherlands--the overall sense was, "Did it really take this long?", and "Did he take accountability fully enough?". 

After the ceremony, the atmosphere in the Museumplein was joyous as Afrocentric music pulsated from three different stages and food stalls perfumed the air. Families danced and strangers smiled at one another. Beautifully colorful attire was everywhere. When we came back together before dinner for debrief, everyone had their own version of how they had experienced the day.