Highlights from Week II

K-Pop Immersion

Nikia Brown

K-pop Dance

It did not take long before the students were on their feet and moving in week two’s K-pop choreography class. Tae Yeon Hwang, founder of Negative Motion dance studio, kicked off the class with an interesting lecture on K-pop’s popularity and the international musical influences that have contributed to its rise in the East and the West. Driven by their love of K-pop, students bravely accepted the challenge to learn one of the hottest and hardest dance choreographies to BTS’ hit song, “Mic Drop.”

Photo for blog post Highlights from Week II

Indie Concert in Hongdae

Tuesday introduced a sound unique to many of the K-Pop enthusiasts in the program. We traveled to Hongdae—a neighborhood known for its art, music, and grit—to attend a private Indie concert for the students and their newly made Korean friends. Each performance uncovered a different perspective of Korean music, filling the coffee house with rich, soulful, eclectic and inviting tones. Students listened curiously before embarking on an evening of themed exploration throughout the Hongdae neighborhood. While some students ventured to discover the mystical world of the Trickeye Museum, others enjoyed a cozy night with hot drinks and dogs at a local puppy café.

Donating Kimchi to Senior Citizens

Later that week, the group visited the Kimchi Museum in Insadong where Korean culinary experts taught us how to make Kimchi from scratch. The students weren’t afraid to get their hands messy as they filled each layer of cabbage with the sweet and savory spices that give Kimchi its distinctive taste. Students then hand-delivered their containers of Kimchi to a nearby senior citizens residential home.

Gahoe Minwha Museum

Next, we visited the Gahoe Minhwa Museum where we learned about the distinctions in folk paintings and amulets classified by different class members in ancient Korean society. Students were able to apply their own artistic interpretation to these classic pieces by completing a folk painting on a fan. These fans conveniently served a dual purpose: 1) a physical representation of newly gained cultural knowledge, and 2) a handy defense against the relentless Korean summer sun.

Andong Excursion

Early Saturday morning, we greeted the sunrise as we traveled 3 hours south of Seoul by bus to Andong to experience the rural side of South Korea. Our first stop was the UNESCO designated World Heritage site of Hahoe Folk Village. There, students not only had the opportunity to witness a traditional mask dance performance, but also received a private tutorial on how to embody the personas and moves characterized by each mask. Before retiring for the evening, we enjoyed copious amounts of Andong’s staple dish for dinner – Jjimdak. The popular dish is made with steamed chicken and various vegetables marinated in a ganjang-based sauce. With bellies full and spirits high, we settled into our Korean traditional homes for the night surrounded by fresh air, a starlit sky, and the chorus of Andong’s cicadas.