Hanoks and Hanboks

K-Pop Immersion

Sartu Taha

Our navigators have had a very busy and fun last couple of days! They attended their first Korean language lesson, which came in handy during their scavenger hunt activity around Seoul. The students along with their program leader had various tasks such as “go to the SM Town gift shop and take a picture with your favorite album by an SM artist” and Namdaemun Gate and describe what your impression of the gate is”. The navigators all had so much fun but I think it was the prize of ice cream cake that motivated them to do their absolute best!

The next day, the navigators boarded the bullet train and took off for Jeonju; a city known for its traditional hanok homes and colorful hanboks, which can be rented and worn around the city. They started their tour of Jeonju at Jeonju Hanbyuk Cultural Center, where they learned about traditional Korean drums. Each navigator was given a drum that they got to practice on to follow the beats created by their instructor. After the drum lesson, the navigators got another lesson on talchum, or the Korean traditional “mask dance”. They were able to try on various masks and perform the dances for the class!

After a fun and active morning, the students got to enjoy a traditional meal of bibimbap. Then they got some free time to explore Jeonju, try traditional snacks and street food, and pose for pictures in their hanboks. After a fun filled day, the students returned back to Seoul on the bullet train.