The Great Tokyo Sushi Academy Experience

Sarah Wong

With the international ubiquity of sushi, one might picture in their mind a standard California roll, the glow of orange tobiko, and the sinus-clearing power of wasabi and forget the humble origins of the Japanese food that has taken the world by storm. Sushi, designed to be the food of the commoner, was the fast food of the Edo period. Over time, the fishy parcel has evolved its own level of craftmenship and artistry that celebrates the minimalist beauty of the bounty of the sea. 

Students had the opportunity to "Jiro" up their own dreams of sushi at the Tokyo Sushi Academy in the heart of the neighborhood of Tsukiji, a district known for its diverse and colorful fish market. Each student started with a "practice" sushi, a ball of rice wrapped in plastic wrap, to practice the technique of carefully but firmly shaping the rice into a tiny starchy package. 

Next comes the fish, which is sliced on a bias to produce maximum surface area for soy sauce absorption (and thus maximum flavor), which with a flick of the finger to swab a dash of wasabi to form the glue, married with the rice and once again gently but firmly formed through a series of finger motions to form on singular tasty fish-rice parcel. It is then placed at a 45 degree angle on the wooden board for eash of pick up by the user. Such is the art of the experience of sushi, where every aspect of the food is considered, from the eyes to the tongue. 

Afterward, students had the chance to have all-you-can-eat sushi and rub elbows with the instructors. We left with eyes glowing and bellies full! 

BONUS BONUS!

PLs can be silly too sometimes!